Jimmy Fund Facts
The Jimmy Fund supports the fight against cancer at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, helping to raise the chances of survival for children and adults with cancer around the world. Since 1948, thousands of events, coupled with the generosity of millions of people, have helped the Jimmy Fund save countless lives by furthering cancer research and care at Dana-Farber.
The Jimmy Fund:
- Has been integral to the success of treatment for once-incurable childhood cancers for more than 60 years. Today, due in part to Dr. Sidney Farber's groundbreaking work at Dana-Farber, overall cure rates for children's cancers have reached more than 75 percent (and up to 90 percent for some forms of the disease).
- Has raised more than $750 million since it was founded in 1948. More than 89 cents per dollar raised is directed toward Dana-Farber's ultimate goal — eradicating cancer and related diseases, and the fear they engender.
- Attracts tens of thousands who participate in more than 585 fundraising events each year. More than 4,000 volunteers help organize and support these events.
- Is an official charity of the Boston Red Sox, as well as the official charity of the Pan-Massachusetts Challenge, the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association, and the Variety Children's Charity of New England.
- Has earned nine consecutive 4-star ratings by Charity Navigator – a mark that less than one percent of rated charities achieve – demonstrating our ongoing fiscal excellence and ability to pursue and achieve long-term change.
Major fundraisers for the Jimmy Fund:
The Pan-Massachusetts Challenge
The Pan-Massachusetts Challenge, a bicycle ride that spans the state each August, has raised more than $338 million for the Jimmy Fund since it started in 1980. Learn more
Jimmy Fund Golf
Jimmy Fund Golf brings thousands of golfers and a variety of celebrities together each year to participate in tournaments throughout the United States. Learn more
The Boston Marathon® Jimmy Fund Walk
The Boston Marathon® Jimmy Fund Walk enables thousands — everyone from the marathon enthusiast to the youngest walker — to walk along the historic, 26.2-mile Boston Marathon route. Learn more
The Jimmy Fund/ Variety Children's Charity Theatre Collections Program
The Jimmy Fund/ Variety Children's Charity Theatre Collections Program is a 60-year-old tradition and the Jimmy Fund's longest-running fundraiser. Volunteers pass collection canisters in National Amusements movie theatres. Learn more
Jimmy Fund Scooper Bowl®, Swim Across America, QVC/FFANY "Shoes on Sale," An Evening with Champions, Jimmy Fund Fantasy Day at Fenway Park, WEEI / NESN Jimmy Fund Radio-Telethon, Jimmy Fund Little League Program, and a variety of other events, from dinner dances to ski races and fishing derbies.